Pages

Friday, 7 February 2014

Finding My Style

Did I find it? Or has it found me?

This week I went absolutely mad painting and creating. The 'what shall I create' is gone (for now) and I can't get the paint down fast enough. I created at least 10 pieces despite the fact that I work 4 days a week. Adults did not get fed.

Mindy's video on the artstronauts is what pushed me. It made me see what I like in her work in particular (but in other artist's too) and for the first time be able to articulate it, replicate it and have the skills to bend it to my own way of doing things.











These are the things I love

Transparent water media (distress stains, water colour, tombow markers).
Quinacridone colours (transparent)
Gesso (transparent again)
Texture stamps (on paper = opaque, on the piece = transparent)
Neon (we aleady knew that!)
Collage
Tissue paper (transparent again)
Glimmer mists (glitter AND transparent)
Washi tape (transparent)
Prismacolor pencils (transparent the way I use them)
Layers (transparent)

Are you seeing the theme? :-)

What realising this has done is given me a way to create a background (which I always struggled with) that has all the things I love in it so I can concentrate on improving my drawing/painting skills. And my work has a cohesiveness that was missing before.


18 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful art! I look forward to seeing what you create next! It took me forever to find my style too....and its always changing. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. I fully expect and look forward to mine changing too!

      Delete
  2. I love what you've created! Gorgeous, beautiful girls! I struggle to find a style - I've been painting girls for a couple of years now and I never seem to settle on anything - just flit around playing with different things - maybe that is my style - flittering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent quite a while 'flittering' myself Michelle. :-) Thank you for your lovely comments.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work. I like them all, but especially the last one. It's is as if she is looking right at me getting ready to ask a question.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll lovely that you've seen that in her Maricella... she's asking if she should let go. :-)

      Delete
  4. Your work is lovely and ephemeral. Very dreamy. It is great that you are able to define you style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I like dreamy. :-)

      Delete
  5. I really love that picture of the girl with red hair. She is so floaty and delicate.Wonderful work. Happy PPF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet words, they're much appreciated.

      Delete
  6. WOW! These pieces are absolutely gorgeous! I love all the transparency - and color! to blend the two and still have bold shots of color is so impressive - it's such a delicate balance that you've mastered. Bravo, xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say Kristin, I'm very grateful for your kind words. There's lots more balancing to do.

      Delete
  7. Your backgrounds make a perfect backdrop for your whimsical girls.Your list is impressive, quite a few things you've listed that I have never tried .Enjoy your art.

    Annabelle : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words Annabelle, I certainly am enjoying it at the moment.

      Delete
  8. these are stunning - love the palettes. !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I'm loving playing with the colours.

      Delete
  9. These are glorious - I think you did find your style!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dearest Kate, I think I did too... for now anyway! xxx

    ReplyDelete